Lost WindsorSchoolsWindsor

St Francis School - Tuscarora St

St Francis School – 1913 Located on the south side of Tuscarora Street, just west of Marentette, was the former St Francis Separate School. A building lost to Windsor’s history, but a building that I have recently discovered had a very interesting history. 1937 Fire Insurance Map The building was know as St Francis School, but following the amalgamation of 1935, the new City…
Read more
Old PhotographsPostcardsRenderingsWindsor

Great War Memorial - 1923

The proposed Great War Memorial Windsor – 1923 From the Border Cities Star – April 6, 1923: Above is the design submitted by George Y. Masson, local architect, for the Windsor war memorial, to be erected on Giles boulevard west, facing Ouellette avenue.
PostcardsWindsor

King George School - 1916

Postcard of King George School – 1916 This postcard, postmarked 1916, shows the then new King George School on Ottawa St & Kildare. The school was built in 1914, and designed by local architects Stahl, Kinsey & Chapman. Stahl, Kinsey & Chapman also designed the Walker Power Building at Riverside & Devonshire, which is currently undergoing a full renovation, as well as…
Read more
RenderingsWindsor

New Studebaker Service Station - 1917

Architect’s rendering of the building – May 30, 1917 With all the focus lately on the redevelopment of the former Loop building (and new home of Quicken Loans), the WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation has moved into the buildings across the street.
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
Windsor

1597 Howard Ave

1597 Howard as seen June 25, 2019 – Post Fire This past weekend a fire ravaged 1597 Howard Avenue, the old service station and garage that was once home to Beaver Oil. Designed by Windsor architects Johnson-McWhinnie, who also notably designed the original Cleary…