Old AdsOld Newspaper StoriesWindsor

Amalgamation

The Town of Walkerville election notice in the December 6, 1934 issue of the Walkerville News. The ballot included a vote on Amalgamation with the Border Communities, the Walkerville News was urging all eligible voters to turn out and to vote “NO” on amalgamation. Oddly enough the town of Riverside was included in the vote but didn’t become part of Windsor until 1965, three…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

St Mary's Academy

A full frontal view of St. Mary’s Academy along Ouellette Avenue, from the early 1920’s. The original spire of St. Alphonsus church is visible behind the school, labeled as the “Catholic Convent” on this postcard. The school was demolished in 1928 to…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Sandwich Street Looking West - 1895

Image from the SWODA A shot of the south side of today’s Riverside Drive looking west from Ouellette. The front entrance of Merchants Bank building (later the Ritz Hotel) is visible on the right hand side of the photograph. The old Norwich Block is visible on the left…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Central Fire Hall - Pitt Street - 1895

Image from the University of Windsor SWODA A view of the first Central Fire Hall on Pitt Street at McDougall. The photo above dates to 1895, probably not too long after the station was built. It was replaced in 1928 by the second Fire Headquarters featured here, which was…
Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Lost WindsorWindsor

401 Bruce Avenue

Photo from Google Streetview Driving through downtown Windsor the other week, I noted that this place, that sat at the south west corner of Bruce and Park was just a vacant lot. Photo from Google Streetview While the front suffered from a bad siding job, a view along the…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Elmwood Casino - 1984

The photo above ran in the Detroit News in January 1984. It accompanied a story on the conversion of the old Elmwood Casino into Brentwood. This photograph shows the original entrance to the 1940’s dining room and lounge. The original entrance featured tile mosaic…