Old Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Wigle Park - 1909

A view of the Wigle Park Fountain – August, 1909 – Mayor Wigle to the right The Wigle Park Fountain, designed by Watt & Crane, 1909, made out of cement. Lost somewhere to time. It likely wasn’t built to survive being constantly wet, and likely deteriorated over time. Did you know that Wigle Park, opened in 1909, was Windsor’s first city park? Located at Erie…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Newspaper Stories

Demolition of the CPR Station - 1935

April 20,1935 For a long time, I have always been curious about the old CPR station that sat on the waterfront across from where CBC is located today. There are postcards of the station, but little else seems to be be around about it. Designed by Edward Colonna, the…
Old Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Cenotaph to Jackson Park - 1932

Councilors Favor Moving War Memorial – May 23, 1932 – The Essex County War Memorial, shown above, may be moved to a new location in Jackson Park as a result of the application that has been made to the council for a permit to erect a gas station on adjoining property. Veterans’ representatives and city commissioners look with approval upon the removal idea. The only obstacle is…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Newspaper Stories

Pitt Street Property Dispute - 1912

Pitt street is marching right to the front as part of Windsor’s business section. This view shows the old blacksmith shop between Ouellette and Goyeau, which has been purchased by Joseph Appelbe as the site of the new vaudeville theatre. There is a dispute over part of…
Old Newspaper Stories

Royal Visit of 1954

When thinking of Royal Visits to Windsor, the Royal Visits of 1939, 1951 & 1984 spring to mind. While the English Royal family has made several visits to our fair city over the years, one that’s little known, and largely forgotten, is the Royal Visit of His…
Apartment BuildingsOld Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Rogin Block - 401 Parent Avenue

August 18, 1914 Designed by Windsor architects Adams & Atcheson, this building was erected in 1914, for Charles Rogin on the corner of Parent & Assumption, in what was described in 1914 as the “east end of the city”. The building featured apartments on the second floor, with a grocery store on the main floor. A large awning covered the apartment entrance along Assumption.
Read more