Buildings of WindsorOld Photographs

Bartlet Building - 1921

From the Border Cities Star – March 19, 1921 Designed by architect J. C. Pennington, who moved his offices to the third floor after construction. The building was developed by E. N. Bartlet who purchased the property, and the one to the west. On the corner of Pelisser & University a building, leased by the Bank of Hamilton, occupied that site. At the announcement of the building…
Read more
Old Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Cenotaph to Jackson Park - 1932

Councilors Favor Moving War Memorial – May 23, 1932 – The Essex County War Memorial, shown above, may be moved to a new location in Jackson Park as a result of the application that has been made to the council for a permit to erect a gas station on adjoining…
Essex CountyOld PhotographsSchools

New Amherstburg School - 1922

General Amherst High School – 1922 The original section of what is today’s General Amherst High School, is located on Laird St, near Fort Malden. The school has since been expanded around the original section, and is due to be replaced, with plans recently…
Old PhotographsPostcardsRenderingsWindsor

Great War Memorial - 1923

The proposed Great War Memorial Windsor – 1923 From the Border Cities Star – April 6, 1923: Above is the design submitted by George Y. Masson, local architect, for the Windsor war memorial, to be erected on Giles boulevard west, facing Ouellette avenue. The specifications call for the use of Canadian pink granite and bronze, and the estimated cost is $20,000. Rising to a…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Vendome Hotel - 1941

The Vendome Hotel, Sandwich, 1941 A view of the long lost Vendome Hotel in Sandwich. Located next to MacKenzie Hall, the photo above dates to 1941 when the building was vacant, and a proposal was made to convert the building into apartments for families who’s…
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorOld Photographs

Carnegie Library - 1903 - 1973

Architect’s sketch of the proposed library, 1902 At the turn of the 21st century, the original Windsor Library at Ferry and Chatham street, had become far too inadequate for the needs of a growing city, and the library board, immediately set out to build a suitable replacement befitting of our city. The architect’s proposal for a new library was finally approved by the board in…
Read more
DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

Ouellette & Riverside - 1963

Looking north towards Detroit, August 5, 1963 One of those cool but depressing photos, showing the first block of Ouellette from 1963. Every building in this shot on the Windsor side, is long lost to history. The Norwich block on the left, wiped out for the Chrysler…