DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

Ouellette & Riverside - 1963

Looking north towards Detroit, August 5, 1963 One of those cool but depressing photos, showing the first block of Ouellette from 1963. Every building in this shot on the Windsor side, is long lost to history. The Norwich block on the left, wiped out for the Chrysler Canada office building. The facade of the TD bank on the corner, remains in storage, awaiting a proposal for its reuse. On the…
Read more
Old Photographs

New Post Office - 1934

New Downtown Post Office – October 3, 1934 The art deco splendor of the main post office hall on the ground floor of the Paul Martin Building on Ouellette Avenue. Following years of neglect, and renovation, the building was recently purchased by the City of Windsor. This main hall has been empty since the post office closed, and moved to Ouellette and Park in the early 2000’s. The…
Read more
DetroitOld Photographs

Detroit Civic Center Plaza - 1976

From the Detroit Free Press – March 16, 1976 A view looking east from Cobo Hall over the twin construction sites of the Civic Plaza (which became Hart Plaza) and the Renaissance Center, with construction on the main tower underway. The photo above was taken by the…
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Beaver House Hotel - Sandwich - 1908

Corner of Bedford & South Centre Road – Photo from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library A photograph from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library dated August 18, 1908. The Hotel was location at the Corner of…
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Adelbert Building - 1960

136 Wyandotte St E – 1960 The building above was located at 136 Wyandotte Street East, on the north side of the street, between Goyeau and Windsor Ave, just east of the Tunnel. The old beer store would be just to the right out of the frame of the photo. The buildings were eventually replaced by a parkette, and a Burger King to the north. A nice looking building, likely dating to the mid…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Drake House - 193-199 Glengarry

Front entrance of the Drake House, corner of Glengarry & Chatham St. c. 1960. From A Forgotten City by Chris Edwards & Elaine Weeks A regular reader recently asked me about this old local establishment, the Drake House at the corner of Glengarry & Chatham. It…