Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

1934 Walkerville Town Council

From the Border Cities Star – January 3, 1934: The 1934 Walkerville Town Council met for the first time at Willistead Tuesday and got all organized for a year of hard work. The new council, together with A. E. Cock, the town clerk, posed for this picture as they left the meeting. Front row, left to right: Councillors Griggs and Long, Mayor Farrow, and Councillors Martin and Chick; and back…
Read more
Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Park & Victoria - 1926

From the Border Cities Star – September 27, 1926: Staunch Old Elms Planted in 1865, to Fall Hydro railway workmen will soon dig their axes into the trunks of these two fine old elms, located at the corner of Park street and Victoria avenue. The trees, which have stood…
Old AdsOld PhotographsWindsor

First Game - Detroit Cougars - 1926

In honour of hockey season making a return, we take a look at the Detroit Cougars (the Red Wing nickname didn’t come into use until 1932) inaugural season in 1926, played right here at the Border Cities Arena. The first team in 1926-27. From Wikipedia: At the April…
Lost WindsorOld AdsOld Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

The Municipal Courts Building - 1955

Today we take a look at the old Municipal Courts Building. Built in 1955 and designed by Sheppard & Masson. Sheppard & Masson would also design the new City Hall that was erected the next year in 1956. A copy of the ad that appeared in the Windsor Daily Star – June 26, 1955, inviting the general public to come tour the new facility. Under the supervision of Art Teacher Mr. Bruce…
Read more
Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Displaced By The 401 - 1956

From the Windsor Daily Star – August 30, 1956: DISPLACED BY 401 – Six houses are being moved to make way for an overpass for Highway 401. This is being moved along North Talbot Rd., between Howard Ave. and Walker Rd., to its new location, a trip of about a…