Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Windsor

359 Goyeau

Now that the old Nut House is gone, and the Tunnel Bar-B-Q as well, this old law office at 359 Goyeau, immediately south of the Nut House should be the next to go. A nice old c. 1900 brick house, long ago altered for commercial use. Pretty soon this will be just a memory…
Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Lost WindsorWindsor

Farewell Tunnel Bar-B-Q

A few shots from Thursday evening and the remains of the Tunnel Bar-B-Q. Some internal steel is still standing… But otherwise she’s just a pile of rubble. This little section at the far east end of the building is all that’s left standing. While it’s sad to see a long time institution go, by the end it wasn’t what it used to be. The space will be replaced with a…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Old City Hall - 1920

Old City Hall taken in 1920. Formerly a public school it was repurposed and used as Windsor’s second City Hall, until replaced by the current one in 1956. Now there’s a new one coming, and some discussion has come up about how much should be spent. What do you…
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

Ouellette & Riverside - c. 1925

A view here looking north towards the Detroit River along Ouellette from just south of today’s Riverside Drive. It’s always great to look at an image, from less than a century ago, of a pretty major intersection, and there not one single thing still…
Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Reader SubmissionWindsor

Nut House Demolition - Goyeau & Park

Photo © 2015, Brian Worrall As many of you might know over the weekend the University started demolition on the buildings fronting Goyeau between the Tim Horton’s at Park, and the Burger King at University. One of these building was formerly home to the Nut House, a long beloved Windsor institution. A reader captured this shot and sent it along for the site. Thanks Brian & Kathryn for…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

Carnegie Library - c 1925

A view of the old Carnegie Library. This shot was taken from Park St. looking south on Victoria Ave. The grant was awarded to Windsor in 1901, but due to delays the Windsor branch didn’t open until 1903. It was designed by Detroit architect John Scott and was…