Buildings of WindsorRenderings

1056 Wyandotte St E

Architect’s Rendering – 1920 Irvin Stanley F Walker, architect, designed this building, found today at 1056 Wyandotte Street East in 1920. The building was erected for Joseph Reycraft. Reycraft’s Store specialized in Dry Goods, Men’s & Ladies wear. The architect I. S. F. Walker, was born in Detroit in 1884. By 1910 he was practicing in Detroit, but had relocated…
Read more
Buildings of WindsorRenderingsUnbuilt

Bank of Hamilton - 1920

Proposed Bank of Hamilton – Ouellette and Chatham St. 1920 Designed by Toronto architects McGiffin & Smith, this unrealized plan for a Bank of Hamilton branch at Ouellette and Chatham Streets was proposed in 1920. The building was to be covered in stone along…
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
Buildings of WindsorPostcards

Walkerville Bank of Commerce - 1915

Postcard view – postmarked 1915 A postcard view of the former Bank of Commerce at the corner of Devonshire and Assumption. The postcard above was postmarked in 1915, and the photo is probably pretty close to that date. The bank was designed by Albert Kahn and…
Buildings of WindsorNotable Windsorites

480-484 Brodhead St - Alton C Parker House

This house on Brodhead Street in the core of the city has an unassuming history. Built around 1920 this house is located on the north side of the street. Brodhead is a small street, one block long, running east/west from Mercer to Howard, just north of Erie. In the right side of the house above at 484, lived Alton C. Parker. Alton C. Parker, born in 1907, was working as a mechanic here in…
Read more
Buildings of Windsor

Monarch Liqueurs Co

Address10150 Riverside Drive EastYear Built1928ArchitectAlbert J. LothianStatusRegister Listed Designed by architect Albert J. Lothian, this building located at 10150 Riverside Drive East, was originally home to Monarch Liqueurs. The company likely wasn’t around…
Buildings of Windsor

Pooles Fish Market

Address101 Wyandotte Street WestYear1940ArchitectJ.C. PenningtonStatusRegister Listed Opened in June, 1940 this is one of Windsor’s few streamlined moderne buildings. Designed by J.C. Pennington, the building was commissioned by Max Goldhar, to house his fish…