PostcardsWindsor

King George School - 1916

Postcard of King George School – 1916 This postcard, postmarked 1916, shows the then new King George School on Ottawa St & Kildare. The school was built in 1914, and designed by local architects Stahl, Kinsey & Chapman. Stahl, Kinsey & Chapman also designed the Walker Power Building at Riverside & Devonshire, which is currently undergoing a full renovation, as well as…
Read more
RenderingsWindsor

New Studebaker Service Station - 1917

Architect’s rendering of the building – May 30, 1917 With all the focus lately on the redevelopment of the former Loop building (and new home of Quicken Loans), the WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation has moved into the buildings across the street.
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
Windsor

1597 Howard Ave

1597 Howard as seen June 25, 2019 – Post Fire This past weekend a fire ravaged 1597 Howard Avenue, the old service station and garage that was once home to Beaver Oil. Designed by Windsor architects Johnson-McWhinnie, who also notably designed the original Cleary…
Lost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

Mercer & Wyandotte - Loikrec Building

Building to be erected at the corner of Mercer and Wyandotte streets to consist of two stores with flats above. The dimensions of the building are to be 46 feet on Mercer and 53 feet on Wyandotte streets. There will be hardwood floors throughout. Leybourne & Whitney are the architects and engineers. The building was located on the north east corner of Mercer & Wyandotte which is…
Read more
RenderingsUnbuiltWindsor

Proposed YMCA - 1896

Here’s a proposal for a YMCA building from 1896, that never came to be. This one was planned for the north side of Ouellette Square which was the parade ground beside the Armouies (that wasn’t yet built) that was located where the Windsor Star is today (in the…