Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
RenderingsUnbuilt

Proposed Hiram Walker Memorial - 1927

The rendering above is from 1927 for a proposed Hiram Walker memorial to be erected in Willistead Park. The plans were drawn up by Detroit architect William Egerton N. Hunter. W E N Hunter was a very prolific church architect who had works built across Michigan, and as far…
RenderingsUnbuilt

16 Story Proposed Skyscraper - 1929

Proposed Building for Fred W. Martin – 1929 The rendering above shows the proposed building that was planned for the north east corner of Wyandotte & Ouellette. Designed by architects Dangerfield & Winter, the plan was created by Fred Martin, the man behind the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. The building was to be 16 stories, and cost $1.1 million dollars (about $16.3 million today).
Read more
Lost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

Mercer & Wyandotte - Loikrec Building

Building to be erected at the corner of Mercer and Wyandotte streets to consist of two stores with flats above. The dimensions of the building are to be 46 feet on Mercer and 53 feet on Wyandotte streets. There will be hardwood floors throughout. Leybourne &amp…
RenderingsUnbuiltWindsor

Proposed YMCA - 1896

Here’s a proposal for a YMCA building from 1896, that never came to be. This one was planned for the north side of Ouellette Square which was the parade ground beside the Armouies (that wasn’t yet built) that was located where the Windsor Star is today (in the old Palace Theatre site). The YMCA was planned for London Street (today University Avenue), and would have had a 50 foot…
Read more
RenderingsUnbuilt

Proposed Sandwich Hydro Office - 1931

From the Border Cities Star – November 4, 1931. The Sandwich Hydro-Electric Commission will start construction on its $25,000 new building, opposite the Town Hall, in the near future, if architect’s plans are approved by the Ontario Hydro-Electric. Mayor…
Old PhotographsRenderingsWindsor

Security Building

Probably my favourite downtown building, seen on Monday evening, the Security Building at the corner of University & Pelissier. Designed by local architects Pennington & Boyde, the Security Building opened December 1, 1927. The Security Building as it appeared as…