With all the focus lately on the redevelopment of the former Loop building (and new home of Quicken Loans), the WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation has moved into the buildings across the street. The buildings had been vacant since the closure of the City Beer Market and Chatham Street Grill in 2013 and 2009, respectively. The rendering above shows the building as it appeared at the time of construction in 1917. In the 1920s, additional floors were added to the building located on the south west corner of Pelissier and Chatham Streets.
The first floor of the Studebaker Service Station was built to act as a sales room, along with some minor repairs, while the second and third floors were built for large repair jobs. The upper floors were serviced by a large freight elevator.
The building to the west was built just before this project, and was also designed by the same architect, Gilbert Jacques. It was built as the Windsor Hydro offices. Gilbert Jacques moved his offices to the second floor of the building.