Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
RenderingsUnbuilt

16 Story Proposed Skyscraper - 1929

Proposed Building for Fred W. Martin – 1929 The rendering above shows the proposed building that was planned for the north east corner of Wyandotte & Ouellette. Designed by architects Dangerfield & Winter, the plan was created by Fred Martin, the man behind…
Unbuilt

Riverside Park Pavilion

AddressSandwich St W (now Riverside) & BruceYear 1914ArchitectJ.C. PenningtonStatusUnbuilt Proposed by the Park Committee, the pavilion above was proposed for Riverside Park at the foot of Bruce Avenue. The Pavilion designed by J.C. Pennington, was planned to be constructed of reinforced concrete with a steel truss roof, covered in Spanish tile. The piers were to be faced in brick…
Read more
Unbuilt

Windsor Hotel - 1914

AddressNE Corner of Wyandotte & OuelletteYear1914ArchitectJames William WilsonStatusUnbuilt The news announcing this project, along with the rendering above, appeared in the Evening Record on February 5, 1914. The description was as follows: The promoters of the…
Buildings of Windsor

Pooles Fish Market

Address101 Wyandotte Street WestYear1940ArchitectJ.C. PenningtonStatusRegister Listed Opened in June, 1940 this is one of Windsor’s few streamlined moderne buildings. Designed by J.C. Pennington, the building was commissioned by Max Goldhar, to house his fish…