Buildings of WindsorSchoolsWindsor

St Angela School - 816 Ellis St E

The separate school board has never seen to be particularly fond or respectful of its inventory of historic buildings. In all fairness the public board, for many years wasn’t either, but there has been a steady and appreciated shift of attitudes at the public board since the John Campbell project. While St. Angela school on Ellis just west of Parent, isn’t new renovation project…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsSchools

Dougall Avenue School

A postcard view of the long lost Dougall Avenue Public School. This postcard dates to about 1918. The building was designed by local architects the Williams Brothers. The Williams Brothers are more well known today for their Church works. Having most notably designed the…
Schools

St Jules School - 1982 Norman

St Jules School at 1982 Norman Rd, is directly across the street from St Theresa’s Church that we looked at earlier this month. The school was designed by local architects Pennington & Boyde in 1925. 35 years later, in 1960, an addition and a gymnasium were…
Essex CountyOld PhotographsSchools

New Amherstburg School - 1922

General Amherst High School – 1922 The original section of what is today’s General Amherst High School, is located on Laird St, near Fort Malden. The school has since been expanded around the original section, and is due to be replaced, with plans recently announced for the long anticipated replacement school. The school was designed by architect Harold McEvers. McEvers is an…
Read more
Lost WindsorSchoolsWindsor

St Francis School - Tuscarora St

St Francis School – 1913 Located on the south side of Tuscarora Street, just west of Marentette, was the former St Francis Separate School. A building lost to Windsor’s history, but a building that I have recently discovered had a very interesting history.
Buildings of WindsorDemolitionLost WindsorSchools

St Bernard School

A rendering of the new school – February 15, 1930 In early 1930, it was announced that the East Windsor separate school board has engaged architect Albert Lothian, to design a nine room school, that would eventually be expanded to 25 rooms. The general plan of the…