Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Adelbert Building - 1960

136 Wyandotte St E – 1960 The building above was located at 136 Wyandotte Street East, on the north side of the street, between Goyeau and Windsor Ave, just east of the Tunnel. The old beer store would be just to the right out of the frame of the photo. The buildings were eventually replaced by a parkette, and a Burger King to the north. A nice looking building, likely dating to the mid…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Drake House - 193-199 Glengarry

Front entrance of the Drake House, corner of Glengarry & Chatham St. c. 1960. From A Forgotten City by Chris Edwards & Elaine Weeks A regular reader recently asked me about this old local establishment, the Drake House at the corner of Glengarry & Chatham. It…
Old Photographs

Wyandotte & Langlois c. 1957

A shot from the late 1950’s looking east from Wyandotte & Langlois. Evan’s Store is on the corner. The 1955 directory lists it as Evan’s Drugstore No. 3, while the 1958 phone book simply lists Evan’s Store at 1000 Wyandotte St E. The next few store fronts are listed as vacant in the 1955 directory. The larger building in this picture shown as Buy-Rite Furniture is still standing…
Read more
Old Photographs

Dominion Cafe – 1020 Drouillard – c. 1957

This is a night shot taken on Drouillard, just south of the current home of the Grand Cantina. The building with the lit up neon sign is the Dominion Cafe which was at 1020 Drouillard. This building, no longer exists. To the left at 1018 Drouillard is Duebensky Hardware.
Old Photographs

St John the Divine

Designed by John Boyde, this Russian Orthodox church was built between 1946-1950. Located at the north east corner of Richmond & Drouillard at 1094 Drouillard, this yellow brick building replaced an earlier Russian orthodox church that was built on this site in 1916.
Old Photographs

Whelpton & Drouillard – Looking West

A neat shot from the late 1950’s probably around shift change. This one is looking west towards Drouillard road. The long gone Temple Theatre visible in the background. To the left of the bus is today’s home of the Grand Cantina. Beyond the Temple Theatre, it may be hard to see, but there is a sign for Charron’s Confectionery & News Stand. In that same spot today in a more modern…
Read more
Old Photographs

1784 Drouillard Rd

A view of Fred’s grocery store located at 1784 Drouillard Rd, just north of Milloy. Like many storefronts across the city, this one appears to have been filled in, and converted to residential, but it’s still standing This photo appears to date from the early…