Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Beaver House Hotel - Sandwich - 1908

Corner of Bedford & South Centre Road – Photo from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library A photograph from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library dated August 18, 1908. The Hotel was location at the Corner of…
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Adelbert Building - 1960

136 Wyandotte St E – 1960 The building above was located at 136 Wyandotte Street East, on the north side of the street, between Goyeau and Windsor Ave, just east of the Tunnel. The old beer store would be just to the right out of the frame of the photo. The…
Apartment BuildingsOld PhotographsWindsor

Royal Apartments - Ouellette & Ellis

Royal Apartments – January 1953 The Royal Apartments – 2006Royal Apartments – c 1928 This building, located on the north east corner of Ouellette & Ellis was built around 1928-29 and features three stories, with ground floor retail. The entrance to the apartments is along the Ellis St facade. The architect for this one remains unidentified to date. A grand old building…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Drake House - 193-199 Glengarry

Front entrance of the Drake House, corner of Glengarry & Chatham St. c. 1960. From A Forgotten City by Chris Edwards & Elaine Weeks A regular reader recently asked me about this old local establishment, the Drake House at the corner of Glengarry & Chatham. It…
Old Photographs

Wyandotte & Langlois c. 1957

A shot from the late 1950’s looking east from Wyandotte & Langlois. Evan’s Store is on the corner. The 1955 directory lists it as Evan’s Drugstore No. 3, while the 1958 phone book simply lists Evan’s Store at 1000 Wyandotte St E. The next few store fronts are…
Old Photographs

St John the Divine

Designed by John Boyde, this Russian Orthodox church was built between 1946-1950. Located at the north east corner of Richmond & Drouillard at 1094 Drouillard, this yellow brick building replaced an earlier Russian orthodox church that was built on this site in 1916.
Old Photographs

Whelpton & Drouillard – Looking West

A neat shot from the late 1950’s probably around shift change. This one is looking west towards Drouillard road. The long gone Temple Theatre visible in the background. To the left of the bus is today’s home of the Grand Cantina. Beyond the Temple Theatre, it may be…