Lost WindsorOld Newspaper StoriesRenderingsWindsor

J. Clark Keith Hydro Plant

Located in Brighton Beach, the J. Clark Keith coal powered hydro plant was opened in 1953, and was demolished in 1997. Below is a rendering that appeared in the Windsor Daily Star, February 19, 1949: These first architects’ drawings of the $21,000,000 Windsor steam hydro generating plan which will go into construction in the Brighton Beach area this spring were released today by the Hydro…
Read more
Old Newspaper StoriesRenderingsUnbuiltWindsor

Suggested Civic Centre

This comes from regular reader Mike F. who came across this rendering from the Border Cities Star, November 1, 1930: Location of the proposed new Canadian National Railways station on the riverfront, at the foot of Windsor avenue, with a city hall square at the…
Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Displaced By The 401 - 1956

From the Windsor Daily Star – August 30, 1956: DISPLACED BY 401 – Six houses are being moved to make way for an overpass for Highway 401. This is being moved along North Talbot Rd., between Howard Ave. and Walker Rd., to its new location, a trip of about a mile. So last time a highway was built through Windsor, they moved six houses to a new location, rather than demolish them when…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Benstein Block - Pitt & McDougall - 1917

From the Evening Record, May 1917: Ever alert to the interest and prosperity of the city as well as to his own affairs, H. Benstein, merchant, now occupies the new building he recently erected at the corner of Pitt street and McDougall avenue, Windsor. The building is a credit to the city and is built on the site of Mr. Benstein’s old establishment in which he conducted a dry goods…
Read more