Buildings of WindsorDemolitionLost WindsorSchools

St Bernard School

A rendering of the new school – February 15, 1930 In early 1930, it was announced that the East Windsor separate school board has engaged architect Albert Lothian, to design a nine room school, that would eventually be expanded to 25 rooms. The general plan of the new building was to be “Modernistic in design” with the architect using a combination of red and purple bricks in…
Read more
Lost Windsor

Coat-of-arms of the Town of Riverside - 1957

Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Riverside – 1957 The Coat-of-Arms above appeared in the Windsor Star in May, 1957, along with a tongue in cheek article mocking Windsor’s neighbours to the east for having a spelling error in the Latin of their new Coat-of-Arms.
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorOld Photographs

Carnegie Library - 1903 - 1973

Architect’s sketch of the proposed library, 1902 At the turn of the 21st century, the original Windsor Library at Ferry and Chatham street, had become far too inadequate for the needs of a growing city, and the library board, immediately set out to build a suitable replacement befitting of our city. The architect’s proposal for a new library was finally approved by the board in…
Read more
DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

Ouellette & Riverside - 1963

Looking north towards Detroit, August 5, 1963 One of those cool but depressing photos, showing the first block of Ouellette from 1963. Every building in this shot on the Windsor side, is long lost to history. The Norwich block on the left, wiped out for the Chrysler…
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
Lost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

Mercer & Wyandotte - Loikrec Building

Building to be erected at the corner of Mercer and Wyandotte streets to consist of two stores with flats above. The dimensions of the building are to be 46 feet on Mercer and 53 feet on Wyandotte streets. There will be hardwood floors throughout. Leybourne &amp…
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Beaver House Hotel - Sandwich - 1908

Corner of Bedford & South Centre Road – Photo from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library A photograph from the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library dated August 18, 1908. The Hotel was location at the Corner of…