Lost WindsorOld AdsOld PhotographsWindsor

Little Bavaria

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Here today we have an old advertisement for the Little Bavaria Tavern. Located beside Mario’s at 747 Ouellette Ave (in the building that was last known as Bentley’s) You can see the Little Bavaria in this photo above, that first appeared in this post from June, 2012. Anyone have any memories of the place? Was it part of Mario’s or a separate…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Ford Powerhouse - c. 1955

A view of the Ford Powerhouse on Riverside Drive and Cadillac, from the mid 1950’s shortly after it was expanded. Originally designed by Albert Kahn in 1924, the building still stands, and is still in use today. Hiding in the left corner is a nice view of the old…
Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Lost WindsorWindsor

1077 Ouellette

The 1908 Tudor Revival house at 1077 Ouellette Ave, finally met the wrecking ball earlier this week. This house was part of a heritage fight to preserve it that ultimately lost. A nice house, and one of the least altered and most original on that stretch of Ouellette, it’s now gone and in its place will soon be the entrance to a parking lot. That’s progress. Big thanks to regular…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Sandwich Street Looking East - 1895

Photo from the SWODA This photograph comes from the Official Programme of Grand Military Demonstration, May 24th, 25th, and 26th, 1895 courtesy of the SWODA. This shot is looking east along Sandwich street from Ferry street, beside the old Crawford House Hotel. In the…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

City Hall - 1920

A view of City Hall Square from 1920. This building served as Windsor’s second City Hall, and was replaced in the mid 1950’s, by the third and current city hall, which is currently scheduled for replacement as well. Prior to becoming Windsor’s second City…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Wilkinson Homestead - Chippawa Street

Sticking with “The Township of Sandwich” and with Chippawa Street in the west end, I noticed this old photo. It’s captioned: The Col. John A. Wilkinson Homestead Chippewa Street, Sandwich. Interesting to note, at some time in the last century the spelling of the street changed from Chippewa to Chippawa…. The book also has the following info: The “Hon. John A.
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcards

Shore Acres - c. 1910

This is a postcard view titled Shore Acres. The post card view is of the area of Riverside between Bridge and Rankin, what was once the old Rankin homestead. It was home to Col. Rankin until his death in 1893. This building burned down in 1925. That same year, a new building…