A view of the Westwood Hotel from June, 1940. The Westwood was later known as Bronson’s and was demolished around 2001. The building was popular with workers from the nearby salt mines, and was a popular stop during the prohibition days.
This ad from 1941 gave instructions to drive along the riverfront road (Sandwich street) near the Windsor city limits. Dinner and dancing nightly (except Sunday). Sturgeon, Chicken, Frog, Steak – Meals at all hours.
The old bar was purchased by the city as it fell within the buffer zone needed to expand the Lou Romano Sewage Plant across the road. Arsonists got to it first, and it burned in 2003, a few days before it was scheduled for demolition.
Another part of Windsor’s past, lost.