Buildings of WindsorDemolitionOld Photographs

Dieppe Park Demolitions - 1954

Before the waterfront park system was in place, there were once buildings on the north side of Riverside Dr. Back in the early 1950s work was set in motion to clear the north side of Riverside Drive and establish a civic centre and park. Across the river in Detroit, the same thing happened with the creation of Hart Plaza, and on our side we got Dieppe Park. From May, 1954, here’s a look…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Drouillard Road - c 1928

Photo above from the collection of the Windsor Public Library A shot taken around 1928 on the east side of Drouillard in between what is today Whelpton & Trenton streets. A pair of architecturally interesting buildings here, both lost to time. Oddly the building to…
Old Newspaper StoriesWindsor

Sign Cleaning - 1923

The photo above appeared in the Border Cities Star a century ago, appearing in the the July 17, 1923 edition on page 3. How would you like this job? There is no need telling where the two brush wielders are working, for the Prince Edward’s big electric sign is familiar to everyone in the Border Cities, and a landmark to most Detroiters. Like everything else in the hotel, the sign gets…
Read more
PostcardsSchools

Holy Rosary Separate School - Drouillard Road

Image above from SWODA A nice postcard view from the late 1920s showing Holy Rosary Separate School on Drouillard Road. Opened in 1922 and designed by Pennington & Boyde, this building served Ford City for nearly a half century. The boom of the Ford assembly plant in…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsSchools

St Clare School

Located at Bruce & Shepard, the St Clare School was designed by Windsor architect Gilbert J P Jacques & Co., and opened in 1922. By the late 1960s the Separate School board was looking at options to either renovate or replace the old school building. After a lot…
Lost WindsorOld Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Col Prince Home Demolition - 1966

A bit of history to fall Demolition for historic building By BOB SUTTON A historic link with the Battle of Windsor is being demolished. It is the convent of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd at Maryvale Vocational School, 940 Prince Rd., once the home of Col. John Prince who commanded the Sandwich militia on the morning of Dec. 4, 1838. Prince and his guest Dr. Hume were eating…
Read more
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Elmcourt Country Club - 1926

Founded in 1921, the Elmcourt Country Club was founded at the same time as the Walkerville Tennis Club, by a split and division of the old Walkerville Country Club. The club was incorporated in June, 1921 and quickly gained 450 members before opening in August, 1921. The…