Old Newspaper StoriesOld Photographs

Cenotaph to Jackson Park - 1932

Councilors Favor Moving War Memorial – May 23, 1932 – The Essex County War Memorial, shown above, may be moved to a new location in Jackson Park as a result of the application that has been made to the council for a permit to erect a gas station on adjoining property. Veterans’ representatives and city commissioners look with approval upon the removal idea. The only obstacle is…
Read more
DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

Ouellette & Riverside - 1963

Looking north towards Detroit, August 5, 1963 One of those cool but depressing photos, showing the first block of Ouellette from 1963. Every building in this shot on the Windsor side, is long lost to history. The Norwich block on the left, wiped out for the Chrysler…
Buildings of WindsorRenderingsUnbuilt

Bank of Hamilton - 1920

Proposed Bank of Hamilton – Ouellette and Chatham St. 1920 Designed by Toronto architects McGiffin & Smith, this unrealized plan for a Bank of Hamilton branch at Ouellette and Chatham Streets was proposed in 1920. The building was to be covered in stone along…
Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

323 Ouellette - Calhoun The Hatter

Calhoun The Hatter Recent renovations at 323 Ouellette have uncovered a long lost sign for Calhoun The Hatter. While very dirty, the sign is painted gold leaf on the back of an original glass window for the shop. The store appears to have been a Canadian chain, and was one of the original tenants of the Paramount Building, when it opened in 1927. Sadly the building has been long…
Read more
RenderingsUnbuilt

16 Story Proposed Skyscraper - 1929

Proposed Building for Fred W. Martin – 1929 The rendering above shows the proposed building that was planned for the north east corner of Wyandotte & Ouellette. Designed by architects Dangerfield & Winter, the plan was created by Fred Martin, the man behind…
Old Photographs

New Post Office - 1934

New Downtown Post Office – October 3, 1934 The art deco splendor of the main post office hall on the ground floor of the Paul Martin Building on Ouellette Avenue. Following years of neglect, and renovation, the building was recently purchased by the City of Windsor. This main hall has been empty since the post office closed, and moved to Ouellette and Park in the early 2000’s. The…
Read more