PostcardsWindsor

Ouellette and University c. 1925

An interesting shot looking west along London Street (today’s University Ave) from the intersection of Ouellette and London. The Labelle Building is on the left, and the Imperial Bank on the right. In the distance beyond the street car is the Capitol Theatre at Pelissier. A nice snapshot of downtown Windsor about 90 years ago. Have a great weekend everyone! Sorry I missed posting on…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcards

Shore Acres - c. 1910

This is a postcard view titled Shore Acres. The post card view is of the area of Riverside between Bridge and Rankin, what was once the old Rankin homestead. It was home to Col. Rankin until his death in 1893. This building burned down in 1925. That same year, a new building…
PostcardsWindsor

Metropole Tavern - c. 1960

An old postcard shot looking south on Walker Road at Niagara Street in Walkerville. It shows what was then the Metropole Tavern, it was more recently known as Big Tony’s after a long run as California’s. A detail shot of the great old neon sign that once graced…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsPostcardsWindsor

Patterson Collegiate Institute

A few shots of Windsor’s first secondary school. Located on Goyeau and Elliot, directly across the street from where today you will find the Central Fire Hall. The site today is unsurprisingly a parking lot. The photo above was taken around 1920, while below is a postcard view from around the same era. The school was built in 1880, and designed by local architect James G McLean. A few of…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

King Edward School - Walkerville - c. 1910

The original Albert Kahn designed school, built in 1906. It was located on Chilver Rd, on a block bounded by Chilver, Cataraqui, Windermere and Niagara in old Walkerville. The building was demolished in 1997 and was replaced with a modern box. Token architectural features…
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

St Mary's Academy

A full frontal view of St. Mary’s Academy along Ouellette Avenue, from the early 1920’s. The original spire of St. Alphonsus church is visible behind the school, labeled as the “Catholic Convent” on this postcard. The school was demolished in 1928 to…