Old AdsWindsor

711 Riverside Drive East

Last occupied by the Drive Magazine, who has since moved on, this commercial building dating to about 1870, is one of the last remnants of the type of buildings that once lined the streets of Downtown Windsor. The building contains some old architectural elements not seen in other buildings around town, like these cast iron steel columns flanking the entrance. However, years of neglect are…
Read more
Old AdsOld PhotographsWindsor

Kennedy Building

Listed in the 1919 City Directory as the home of the Studebaker Corporation of Canada, this building now home to the Beer Market, has had a long life. In the early 1920’s (it’s listed as a furniture store in the 1921 directory) it was purchased and became home…
Old AdsWindsor

Demolition Time!

The old dealership at Tecumseh and Parent, just east of the Caboto Club met the building eaters Tuesday afternoon. The ad above for Lorne T. Rowson G.M. dealer is from the 1958 phone book. The dealership at 915 Tecumseh Road East has been home to many dealerships over the…
Old AdsWindsor

Auto Specialties Mfg. Co.

Located on Tecumseh Rd. just east of Howard Ave. this massive plant is another part of Windsor’s long gone industrial might, replaced by the Medical Building, that runs from Hanna to Tecumseh Road. A quick check on the Google, shows the company is still around today, in Benton Harbor, MI. The ad above dates to the early 1960’s. Does anyone out there remember the company or have any…
Read more
Old AdsOld Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Duplate Limited

This old factory on Walker Road was last home to Schukra before they built their new factory in Lakeshore. At the very south end of the complex, covered in metal siding, is the original building, built in 1936. The building was originally home to Duplate Limited, who made…
Old AdsWindsor

Guaranty Trust Building

At the corner of University & Victoria is this unassuming TD Bank branch with a lot of history. Opened in June, 1948 as the new home of the Guaranty Trust of Canada. The building was designed by Toronto Architects Allward and Gouinlock. Hugh Allward, was the son of legendary Canadian sculptor Walter Allward, who is best known for the Canadian War Memorial at Vimy Ridge. Around the back of…
Read more
Old AdsWindsor

Dayus Roofing - Then & Now

After 50 years, Dayus Roofing is moving from Howard Avenue, expropriated for the new crossing. This Windsor business has been around since 1950, and luckily they aren’t packing it in. According to the sign on the Howard facade, they are moving to Halford Road in…
Old AdsWindsor

Kelsey Wheel Company

Today is another glimpse into the industrial history of our fair city. The Kelsey Wheel Company (later Kelsey Hayes) was opened in Windsor in November of 1913. It was the first plant to be unionized by the UAW in Canada. It closed down not too long after I moved to Windsor…