Designed by architect J. C. Pennington, who moved his offices to the third floor after construction. The building was developed by E. N. Bartlet who purchased the property, and the one to the west. On the corner of Pelisser & University a building, leased by the Bank of Hamilton, occupied that site. At the announcement of the building above, future plans to develop the corner property at the end of the lease were also noted. That building known as the Bartlet Building Annex, was built in 1924 and designed by Cameron & Ralston. Both building still stand and remain occupied and in use.