Found on University Avenue West and McKay is one of the more often overlooked churches in the city, the Anglican Church of the Ascension.
The church as seen today was built in 1927, designed by local architects Nichols, Sheppard & Masson. It was built using only the foundations and tower walls of the first Church of the Ascension that was built in 1907, and destroyed by fire December 22, 1926. Within a year the church was redesigned, rebuilt and rededicated.
The photo above is from the Border Cities Star, September 27, 1927:
Construction work has been slow, but appreciable progress is shown in the picture above. Only the roof of the old structure is to remain as it was, as new windows will be utilized, and a pillar effect will be given to the interior of the nave.
The parish hall, now used by the congreation for services, will be considerably enlarged when the work is finished. Another structure, to replace the present rectory will be added later.
From the Border Cities Star, December 3, 1927:
Anyone out there have any memories, or stories about this place?