Walkerville Garage

In November 1912, the following rendering appeared in the Evening Record, showing a rendering for a Garage for Mr. George Reid, Kildare Road, Walkerville. The plans were drawn up by Walkerville based architects Smith & Walker.

Smith & Walker also designed the Grier Apartments in Walkerville as well as 917 Chilver that we recently looked at. This plan was never built.

This is one of Walkerville’s first enameled brick front buildings. It is the new three-story garage building on Kildare road, near Assumption street, being erected for George Reid. On the first floor will be the garage, on the second a machine shop, and on the third a dance hall. Smith & Walker are the architects.

Obviously there is some unknown story to go with this building, as a little over a month later in the Evening Record, the above rendering appeared for a Garage for George Reid on Kildare Road, designed by Windsor architects Leybourne & Whitney.

This is a cut of the new up-to-date $18,000 garage being built on Kildare Road, Walkerville, for Mr. George Reid. The excavation for it began on Wednesday. The first floor of this new three story 119×50 building of pressed brick front and buff Bedford stone will be used as a garage, the second as a light machine shop, and the third as a dancing hall. A 10×20 freight elevator will run through all the floors. Leybourne & Whitney, of Windsor, are the architects, and the contractors for the various kinds of work are: masonry, H. Howe; freight elevator, H. Kissane; carpentry, Lambert & Braithwaite; plastering, Reid.

The building still stands today at 420 Kildare Rd. Other than losing its cornice, it looks pretty similar.

There is some nice brickwork on this place, but you can see where the cornice ran as there are different bricks underneath (common brick instead of face brick). It seemed like there was some work going on earlier in the year at the building, so hopefully it has a long future in Walkerville.

Related posts
Buildings of WindsorWindsor

Jackson Park Bandshell

DemolitionLost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Tunnel Bar-B-Q 2015

Old PhotographsWindsor

2422 Gladstone Avenue

Old PhotographsWindsor

Dieppe Park - c 1958

Recent Comments:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *