Located on the south east corner of Riverside Dr. and Devonshire, the Flat Iron building designed by Mason & Rice was demolished by Hiram Walker’s parent company in 1995, in an attempt to pay less taxes. Today the site of the building remains an empty lot.
Regular reader Robert Pratt, passed along a pair of photos he took of the Flat Iron Building in January, 1995, before the hammer fell.
The building was constructed by Detroit architects Mason & Rice at a cost of $24,000. The building was built c. 1895, and was about a century old when the wrecking ball wiped it off the planet. Next door to the east was the former Walkerville Town Hall. It was successfully saved, and moved around the corner onto Devonshire where it stands today.