The original section of what is today’s General Amherst High School, is located on Laird St, near Fort Malden. The school has since been expanded around the original section, and is due to be replaced, with plans recently announced for the long anticipated replacement school.
The school was designed by architect Harold McEvers. McEvers is an interesting guy. Born in Montreal, he attended and graduated from McGill. In 1916 McEvers was living in Coburg. At the end of WWI, McEvers was discharged from the army, and ended up in Amherstburg, doing work at Fort Malden. In 1921 or so, McEvers opened an office in Windsor. His most notable work in the city is the former Walkerville Hydro building on Wyandotte & Argyle. He moved to Detroit in 1924, and had relocated to Philadelphia in 1930. He relocated to Camden, NJ by 1940. He died in Haddonfield, NJ in 1963.