DetroitPhoto Du Jour

Replanning Downtown Detroit – Part 7 of 8

INTERNATIONAL CENTER

Section “F” on the map:

Heidi Fujii, R.E. Wiese

INTERNATIONAL CENTER

The area under consideration for this part of Central Business District study is bounded on the west and south by the John Lodge Expressway, on the north by Michigan Avenue and on the east by Second Avenue. Immediately to the east of this area is the Convention Mall, leading from Convention Hall north to Grand Circus Park.

Areas designated by the letter A are to be an International Center. The southernmost block ‘ would be a multi-story office building housing foreign consulates and the United States Customs Service. The remaining part of area A would be a gay and colorful grouping of low structures comprising foreign shops, restaurants, stores and an international information center. Only pedestrian traffic would be permitted within this area.

Areas designated by the letter B lying along Michigan Avenue would be an Automotive Research Center. This Center would be sponsored cooperatively by the entire automobile industry for the advancement of transportation.

Area C consists of three or four-story office buildings. These would house the executives and administrative personnel of companies which have their manufacturing facilities elsewhere.

Area D provides parking for all the above groupings.

Typical mall view.

Related posts
DetroitRenderingsUnbuiltWindsor

Proposed Detroit-Windsor International Airport

DetroitOld Photographs

Detroit Civic Center Plaza - 1976

DetroitNews

Detroit Streetcar Line

DetroitLost WindsorOtherWindsor

One Fare - Walkerville & Detroit Ferry Co - c 1925

Recent Comments:

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *