Buildings of WindsorLost WindsorWindsor

The First Elmwood Casino

The first version of the Elmwood Casino was located in the same spot. Opened in the early 1920s as the Elmcourt Tennis & Country club. Later on during the depression years, in 1934, the Elmwood Hotel opened in the old clubhouse of the Country Club. By the early 1940s, the supper club format was underway. In December, 1943 the original Elmwood burned to the ground. When the fire broke…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsSchools

Dougall Avenue School

A postcard view of the long lost Dougall Avenue Public School. This postcard dates to about 1918. The building was designed by local architects the Williams Brothers. The Williams Brothers are more well known today for their Church works. Having most notably designed the…
Lost WindsorMapsOld AdsPostcards

Baby Park

Back in 2007, this website took a look at Boose’s Tourist Camp on Dougall Ave at Eugenie. In the 1920s & 1930s, as more people acquired cars, Motor Touring was quite popular and all those road trips meant that people needed somewhere to stay. Tourist camps began…
MapsOld Ads

Clinton Park Subdivision 1913

The early years of development of the city in the boom years before WWI saw parcels of the city being purchased and subdivided to meet the growing need for new residential areas in the Border Cities. One of these subdivisions was the Clinton Subdivision. Encompassing the west side of Dougall Avenue between the alley north of Clinton Ave, to the alley south of Wahketa Ave it extended west to the…
Read more