Windsor

Lazares Furs Neon Sign - Maiden Lane

A view of the Lazares Furs Art Deco neon sign in Maiden Lane in downtown Windsor. The building itself is already listed on the Windosor Heritage Register, but the sign is part of 27 properties that are on the agenda tonight at the Heritage portion of the Planning, Heritage & Economic Development Standing Committee agenda to be discussed tonight in City Council Chambers. Adding the sign the…
Read more
Lost WindsorWindsor

Ouellette & Park c. 1949

Another week gone. Here’s a view of the north east corner of Ouellette and Park and the long lost Prince Edward Hotel. This building came down in the 1970s and was replaced with the less than inspiring Scotia Bank building. Have a great weekend everyone, see you back…
Demolitiongoing, going, gone...Windsor

359 Goyeau

Now that the old Nut House is gone, and the Tunnel Bar-B-Q as well, this old law office at 359 Goyeau, immediately south of the Nut House should be the next to go. A nice old c. 1900 brick house, long ago altered for commercial use. Pretty soon this will be just a memory…
Lost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Old City Hall - 1920

Old City Hall taken in 1920. Formerly a public school it was repurposed and used as Windsor’s second City Hall, until replaced by the current one in 1956. Now there’s a new one coming, and some discussion has come up about how much should be spent. What do you…
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

Ouellette & Riverside - c. 1925

A view here looking north towards the Detroit River along Ouellette from just south of today’s Riverside Drive. It’s always great to look at an image, from less than a century ago, of a pretty major intersection, and there not one single thing still standing. There were some pretty impressive structures downtown at one time. I’ve always been a fan of the building on the north…
Read more
Lost WindsorPostcardsWindsor

Carnegie Library - c 1925

A view of the old Carnegie Library. This shot was taken from Park St. looking south on Victoria Ave. The grant was awarded to Windsor in 1901, but due to delays the Windsor branch didn’t open until 1903. It was designed by Detroit architect John Scott and was…