Originally built in 1839 the block house at the southern end of Boblo Island has recently been rededicated following a four year restoration by area volunteers.
There is a Ontario Historical Marker on the island that reads as follows:
Following the evacuation of the British military post at Detroit in 1796, a new establishment was commenced opposite here on the site of Amherstburg, and two blockhouses were built on this island to serve as outposts. As a result of armed attacks on Amherstburg by supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie during the Rebellion of 1837-38, the original defences on Bois Blanc were replaced in 1839 by three new blockhouses, and a picquet house enclosed by a palisade. The latter housed regular troops from Fort Malden until 1851 and thereafter Enrolled Pensioners until 1859. The two remaining blockhouses are situated at the centre and south end of the island.
A few years ago, the block house was in horrible condition and was partially collapsed. Photos of the block house above prior to the restoration, can been seen at this link: http://ontarioplaques.com/Plaques/Plaque_Essex14.html
A big tip of the hat to Bill Brundage and all the other volunteers who saved this relic of our history and brought it back to life.