From the Border Cities Star – September 27, 1926:
Staunch Old Elms Planted in 1865, to Fall
- Hydro railway workmen will soon dig their axes into the trunks of these two fine old elms, located at the corner of Park street and Victoria avenue. The trees, which have stood as shady landmarks for 61 years, were planted by Alex Black, retired Windsor assessment commissioner when he was an employee of the old dry goods firm of Cameron and Thorburn, predecessor to the present firm of Bartlet, Macdonald and Gow. The elms were planted on May 24, 1865, together with a small hawthorn that stands further down the street. Mr. Black brought them in from a bush south of Tecumseh road. The trees adjoin the residence of Mrs. F. H. Mann.