From the Windsor Star November 1, 1950:
- One of Windsor’s most famous landmarks is being torn down to make way for a new city residential subdivision. The Henkel home, shown above, located on Riverside drive between George and Rossini, is to be demolished and on its site, together with other adjacent city lands, Windsor plans on laying out a 41 lot subdivision.
By the end of January the leveling should he completed, following which sewer and water pipes will be laid to service the 41 lots. It is expected that private building in the subdivision could start next spring.
(Star Staff Photo.)
The article accompanying the demolition noted this about the history:
There is a record of a sale in the county registry office showing the property being sold on January 20, 1894 to Thena Henkel from Alexander Meloche. In June of 1912,. the home is recorded as being sold by Joseph Remi Tourangeau to Robert Henkel. These are the early records of the home’s history.
In 1925, the Henkels sold the home to Ford City. At the time the Town of Ford City had plans but these plans failed to materialize. Then the home stood vacant for a while. It was rented to Maud Moras. During the period of tenancy an increase in movement around the house was noticeable.
POLISH RECRUITING CENTRE
The house was vacant again after this tenancy and then it was rented to a Polish Mission in the last war as a recruiting centre.
The mission was engaged in forming and training a Polish battalion. Following the Polish Mission tenancy, the home was rented to the Frontier Badminton Club for use as club rooms. This tenancy has just recently been terminated.
The City of East Windsor acquired the home from Ford City. Present day Windsor acquired the home at the time of amalgamation in 1935.