A sketch of Glengarda Ursuline School, designed in 1938 by J.C. Pennington.
The building opened in 1939, and stood until 1998, when despite being designated, the Mady Corp tore it down for this…
In a booklet issued about the history of Glengarda, to coincide with the new Condos the following is stated:
The reaction was so spiteful that even the Gates along Riverside Drive were taken down so no trace remained. Thankfully the Ontario Heritage Act was strengthened a few years back to prevent this type of demolition from occurring again. At the time, even though a building was designated it’s demolition couldn’t be stopped, unlike today.
At least the demolition of Glengarda featured on the cover of the report on the Loss Of Heritage Properties in Ontario, published in 2002.