From November, 1927 – A huge plan was announced by a company called the Greater Windsor Development Company. The plan included transforming a downtown block into a world class property.
The first phase announced was for the erection of a four story Apartment Building, along with a three story ramp parking garage. The boundary of the development was to run from University to Park along Dougall Ave. This first phase was to cost $600,000 (about $7.4 million in 2009 dollars).
The second phase that was to be erected later called for the construction of a 25 story hotel, that was to be the tallest hotel in the British Empire. The apartment building was to contain 64 units and was designed by the firm of Trace, O’Dell and Diehl. John Edward trace was a local architect, while Augustus O’Dell and Gerald Diehl were both Detroit architects. This firm also designed the old Windsor City Market.
The value of the hotel was pegged at $1.5 million (about $18.4 million in 2009 dollars).