For today’s Photo Du Jour, we’re off to lovely Highland Park.
At the intersection of Hamilton & Oakman is this massive industrial building.
While a giant factory isn’t usually too exciting, the front entrace to this one is outstanding. Art Deco/Moderne elements are visible on this facade. So now it is an automotive parts distribution warehouse, but what is the history of this site?
The 1925 map, shows the site mostly unoccupied, except for the Detroit United Railway, Highland Park Shops. To the south the property was buffered by a row of houses, and Isabelle Avenue.
The 1950 map, shows the factory as being that of the Ex-cell-o corporation. It looks like the Railway Shops were incorporated into the new building. The map also states the building was erected in 1942. Note the pink/red box at the south end of the property was reserved for Street Car Right of Way. The buffer of houses was still there, however Isabelle Ave. had become Labelle Avenue.
Today Labell doesn’t exisit as Manchester Parkway buts up to the south end of the property, the houses long gone.