Lost WindsorOld Photographs

940 Assumption

Image from SWODA

The image above comes from a book published in 1913. The image above shows the Marshall Foundry. The foundry location at 940 Assumption, in the block just east from Parent, did infrastructure castings, like sewer grates, and manhole covers.

Image from SWODA

Business seemed to go well for a long while, as shown in the photo above from 1955. Based on the images in the yard, they kept doing the same work, as there are a pile of manhole covers in the front yard.

Image from SWODA

Three years after the last photo, in 1958 the same kind of stock is in front yard.

In January 1960, Alverdo Marshall, the owner of the foundry passed away at the age of 81.

Alverdo Marshall, 81, of 296 Parent Ave., proprietor of Marshall Foundry at 940 Assumption, died today in Metropolitan Hospital after a brief illness.
 
A native of Maidstone Twp., Mr. Marshall moved to Windsor in 1898. He was a member of First Lutheran Church.Mr. Marshall worked for a time with Michigan Stove Works before opening his own foundry in 1908. The firm has been in business continuously since then.
 
Mr. Marshall operated the foundry by himself in the early years and tailored his business to keep the firm easily manageable. There are now three employees, including his son.

The Marshalls celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last September. Survivors include his widow, the former Clara Feldmann; four sons, Percy, Sandwich West: Albert and Wilbert, Riverside, and Fred at home, three daughters, Frtiel Rueckwald (Eleanor), London, Ont. Mrs. Albert Stockman (Florence), Riverside, and Mrs. Francis Lange (Gladys), Monroe, Mich.; a brother, Clarence, Maidstone Twp.; two sisters, Mrs. Isabelle Wilson, Essex and Mrs. Herb Holden (Lillian), Colchester N.: 16 grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.
 
The body will be at the Anderson Funeral Home, 895 Ouellette Ave., until 10 a.m. Tuesday. and will be taken to First Lutheran Church to rest in state until 2 p.m. time of service. Rev. Erwin T. Umbach will officiate, with burial in Victoria Memorial Cemetery.

Image from Google Streetview

It looks like it continued to Operate until about 1968-1969. Other businesses operated there through the late 1970s. It looks like somewhere around 1983 the property became vacant, and ended up being owned by the City. Perhaps a tax foreclosure? I couldn’t really decipher what occurred based on the land registry books. Either way the property remains a vacant lot to this day.

Related posts
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

The Intersection of Huron Church, Felix & Prince - 1953

Old PhotographsWindsor

53 Pitt Street East

Old Photographs

Huron Church & College - 1952

Lost WindsorOld Photographs

College & Campbell - 1951

Recent Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *