Lost WindsorOld Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

The British-American Brewery – 1939

Hope everyone had a great long weekend! Today’s photo comes from from the Windsor Daily Star – December 30, 1939. It is looking south east at the corner of Sandwich (now Riverside) and Bruce.

    Windsor’s big industries in every line keep pace with the pressing demands of business. The British-American Brewery’s ambitious scheme for expansion in 1940 embraces major plan alterations and the addition of modern machinery that’s the last word in efficiency. With products demanding the highest quality grains, this concern buys hundreds of thousands of pounds of barley malt annually, thus contributing to the prosperity of grain growers in Ontario. A fleet of modern streamlined vans for long distance deliveries are outstanding examples of the superb equipment employed by this pioneer border industry. All British-American transport and local drivers are competent to render first aid. Common to Die modern brewery plant, every unit of storage and operating machinery is kept in an immaculate condition. The glistening battery of huge white storage tanks containing thousands of gallons of popular beverage is situated in air conditioned areas above and below the main floor levels which ensure healthful working conditions for an expert staff of operators.

    From the first to last process in the production of fine beverages every precaution is taken to ensure absolute purity and wholesomeness which is reflected in the excellence of the well-known products of the firm. The British-American Brewery was the first brewery in the district to have organized union labor. A large number of full lime employees gain their livelihood here. According to Mr C. F. Clapp, managing director, a. higher monthly rate is paid than by any other brewery in Ontario. The staff of this brewery enjoy the protection of sickness, accident and death insurance which is provided on a contributory basis by the company. An income retirement plan has been in operation for the past three years, whereby each employee, at the age of 65, is retired on a pension based on wages or salary earned during working years. Analagous (sic) to many other business concerns in Windsor, this firm reports a healthy increase in sales during 1939, and anticipates accelerated business in the new year.

Here’s the same corner today:

View Larger Map

Related posts
Buildings of WindsorWindsor

Jackson Park Bandshell

DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

J Clark Keith Generating Plant - c 1979

DemolitionLost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Tunnel Bar-B-Q 2015

Old PhotographsWindsor

2422 Gladstone Avenue

Recent Comments:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *