From the Evening Record – October 14, 1913:
The above is the architect’s perspective of the new proposed Empress Theatre, which will be erected opposite the Joseph Appelbe Company’s stores on Pitt street. The building when completed will be one of the most modern and up to date in Western Ontario and a credit to this city. The interior decorations will be of old ivory and gold, with fancy lighting fixtures. There will be ladies’ parlors (sic) and retiring rooms and a smoking room for men. There will be room for five stores on the ground floor and fifteen offices on the second floor.
The place will have a seating capacity of 1,400 people and the stage will be large enough to play any production that can be taken care of on any Detroit stage. The front of the building will be constructed of white terra cotta. A large marquette will be constructed over the entrance to the theatre. The building is being erected by the Empress Theatre company which is being promoted by Mr. W. W. McEwen, formerly manager of the Windsor Theatre.
Designed by J.C. Pennington, this impressive structure was never built. There was a Empire theatre built on Pitt Street West. This building was planned for the east side of Ouellette. It would have been an impressive building. The recent post about the blacksmith shop, speaks of the “Appelbe property” being between Ouellette and Goyeau.