Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

1902 Windsor Baseball Team

This article appeared in the Border Cities Star, April 4, 1922, as a look back at the 20th anniversary of the 1902 Windsor Ball Club.

    THE FAMOUS Windsor ball team of 20 years ago, the team that took Western Ontario pennants for several years in succession from 1899 to 1905? These are the boys that comprised the team, the pride of Windsor for many years and ball players of sufficient merit to attract visitors annually from many Ontario and Michigan cities.
    Five of the team now deceased are as follows: Johnny Wigle, president of the team and well-known proprietor of the International Hotel For many years; Geddes Paine, who played as utility man and was instantly killed in an auto accident in the Border Cities several years ago: F rank Markham, first baseman; Frank Delaney, third baseman, and William Wasmond, alternate pitcher with “Rube“ Deneau,. and formerly star half back of the University of Michigan for years.

    Not the cheerful countenance of Dr. J. B. Cruiclashank, physician for the team. Doc fixeded up the wounded on the ground and usually he went right back in the fight. Absolute knockouts only were recognized as adequate reasons to get out of the game.

    In the picture above the men.are as follows: Top row, left to right.

    Fred Dalziel, secretary-treasurer; George “Stumpy” Laughlin, right field; Frank Donilson, business manager; Dr. G. R. Cruickshank, team physician; Johnny Wigle, president; C. J.Wall, first vice-president; C. Marcon, first baseman: Harry Neal, right fielder.

    Second row, left to right: Frank Delaney, third base; “Nigs“ Thorburn, second base; Geddes “Fatty” Paine; F. Kadau, catcher; “Rube” Deneau, pitcher and captain of team; W. Wasmond; Charlie Neal, left field.

    Third row, left to right: T. Taylor, shortstop. and R. Burlrand, utility man.

    The famous old ball ground in those stirring days was situated where the Windsor bicycle track formerly stood, this enterprise having been built by Johnny Williams when the cycle craze was at ‘its height. It is conceded by all enthusiasts of the leather sphere that Windsor never had an outdoor ball team of equal merit before or since the aggregation above handled the mitts for the border.

Anybody have any relatives in the photo above? 🙂

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Related posts
Old Photographs

Windsor Utilities Office - 1964

UnbuiltWindsor

Detroit River Memorial Tunnel - 1918

ChurchesLost WindsorOld Newspaper Stories

Christ The King Church and The Baseball All-Star

Old Photographs

1277 Ottawa Street - Then & Now

Recent Comments:

4 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *