Old Newspaper StoriesOld PhotographsWindsor

Windsor Truck and Storage

A recent email from a reader was asking me about Windsor Truck & Storage. The drawing above is an architects rendering that appeared in the Border Cities Star, February 21, 1928. The building that we know today is actually two buildings. With the clock tower section having been added to the existing warehouse in 1928. Windsor Truck and Storage, was founded in the 1880’s is one of Windsor’s oldest companies. The building was designed by Windsor architects Cameron & Ralston.

From the Border Cities Star – October, 6, 1928

Safe and Convenient Facilities for Storage There.
Attractive Architecture Adds to Appearance of Warehouse

Windsor Truck and Storage Company, Limited, announced the competition of the new addition to its fireproof storage plant at corner (sic) Windsor and Shepherd Streets, Windsor, which addition (sic) makes it now one of the most up-to-date and complete storage warehouses of its kind in Canada. Situated as it is on a private switch of the Essex Terminal Railway, the expense of handling of merchandise, produce and so forth is reduced to a minimum while the building, being entirely of brick and concrete, offers a safe and secure storage for all classes of goods.

A large vault for the safe keeping of furs, silverware, and other valuables is provided; also a vault for the fumigation of furniture placed in the warehouse. This demothing system is one of the essentials in a modern furniture warehouse, and the company show (sic) their desire to keep their plant up-to-date by installing this feature.

In erecting the building, which covers a space 130 ft. x 160 ft. and has four storeys and a basement, the owners have discarded the idea of the old fashioned warehouse, with its uninteresting four walls, and have included in this some very attractive lines and pleasing features. Cream terra-cotta ornamentation of unique design is tasefully useed at the top of the building; while the name of the company is of the same material, built into the wall and stands out in bold relief against the dark brick background.

The tower, another striking feature, rises thirty feet above the roof and contains an electric technochrome clock, regulated by the Hydro Electric System, who eight foot dial will be illuminated at night.

The main office of the company will be located at this warehouse, but for the convenience of its down-town (sic) customers, they will still maintain an office at the old stand on Chatham Street West.

Cameron & Ralston, the architects are to be complimented on the design of the building; while the Windsor Truck & Storage Co., Ltd., deserve every credit for their faith in the future of the Border Cities, and in sparing no expense in erecting a building, modern in all its equipment, to which every citizen of Windsor may point with pride.

General Contractors for the building are Allan & Earle. Materials were largely supplied by the Cadwell Sand & Gravel Company. The painting contract was executed by the National Manufacturing Company. Electric wiring was put in by Millen Electric, and Woodall Brothers did the bricklaying.

Despite the loss of the clock on the west elevation, not much has happened to this place over the last 80 years.

Two pictures up, you can catch a glimpse in the black & white photo of what’s under that siding…

The terra-cotta lettering is still doing its job (except the “Limited” vanished somewhere)….

A look at the back reveals (in the white section) where there were once large floor to ceiling windows.

Hands down, Windsor’s most attractive industrial building.

Related posts
Buildings of WindsorWindsor

Jackson Park Bandshell

DemolitionLost WindsorOld Photographs

J Clark Keith Generating Plant - c 1979

DemolitionLost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Tunnel Bar-B-Q 2015

Old PhotographsWindsor

2422 Gladstone Avenue

Recent Comments:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *