With the Prince of Wales only a memory, let’s take a look around the inside of what used to be.
Inside the front lobby looking back towards the front doors.
Big heavy old oak doors, they sure don’t build schools like this. At one time the stairs split, with a set leading to the basement, and one leading to the first floor. The stairs to the basement were long ago blocked off, and left a blank wall in its place.
After climbing the stairs to the first floor, a look to the east down the corridor.
The same view from the other end of the hall.
Inside one of the first floor classrooms. This one had survived and was in pretty good shape.
Another view of the same classroom, looking at the chalkboard and doorway.
A detail shot of the doorway.
The school was built in four phases. The original school, contained four classrooms, two on each floor. It was built around 1918. An addition was added to the east end of the building in 1926, and one on the west end in 1927. Some time later the gym was added (1970’s?).
In this shot we see some of the institutional Gothic architecture used in the 1927 staircase on the west side of the school.
A view of the west staircase.
Looking out over the parking lot from the broken window in the west stairs.
Tomorrow the tour continues..