This photograph shown above shows the Crawford House hotel that was situated on the north side of Sandwich Street (today’s Riverside Drive) at Ferry.
The hotel was owned by Alexander Crawford, the namesake of Crawford Avenue on the near west side, and originally a native of Montreal. The Crawford House was built in 1875, and was the largest hotel west of Toronto at the time. The hotel was still operating in the mid 1920’s although the 1937 fire insurance map shows the land vacant, so the building was gone by then.
It was probably done in much like other hotels in the mid 1920’s as more modern hotels opened with a private bath in each room.
Hope everyone had a good weekend.