Photo Du JourWindsor

Tick Tock…

The death fences are up, and the clock is ticking down on the old Prince of Wales public school.

Once a key part of the surrounding neighbourhood, in the nearly two decades since its closure, the neighbourhood has nearly vanished. Most of the houses right near the school have given way to acres and acres of surface parking for the University or have been converted into student rentals.

The demographics of the area have changed, and some can argue that the closure of Prince of Wales was the catalyst to that change. The site will be home to the new Engineering Building for the University.

When originally designed, the building was intentionally situated on the site to sit opposite the road across the street. Walkerville Collegiate is also designed like this.

When originally designed by the Detroit architectural firm of Van Leyen, Schilling & Keough after World War One for the Sandwich School Board, the building was a simple 4 room school house. Several additions over the years changed the layout and feel of the original design.

As usual (and like a broken record this year it seems…), another part of Windsor’s past bites the dust.

Related posts
Buildings of WindsorWindsor

Jackson Park Bandshell

DemolitionLost WindsorOld PhotographsWindsor

Tunnel Bar-B-Q 2015

Old PhotographsWindsor

2422 Gladstone Avenue

Old PhotographsWindsor

Dieppe Park - c 1958

Recent Comments:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *