Old Newspaper StoriesPostcards

Wyandotte Hotel

This large brick building on the north west corner of Wyandotte and Parent has had a long history as a place to grab a drink. Built in 1909, and designed by local architects Jacques & Williamson, it was erected by Alex Campeau as the Wyandotte Hotel. It was built on the site of a previous hotel which this new three story brick version replaced. It appears that it remained named the Wyandotte Hotel through at least 1974. I see references to be being called the Wyandotte Tavern around 1986, before becoming Champs in the 1990s & 2000s. It was most recently in operation as a place called The Corner, although it seems to be vacant currently.

Above is a postcard view of the hotel shortly after the hotel opened. One of the rare Windsor occasions where a building remains largely unchanged. The large front porch is long gone, but many other elements, including the cornice remain 114 years later.


Alex. J. Campeau Aided in Development of East Side.

A message was received here on Sunday morning announcing the death of Alex. J. Campeau, who had been in the Guelph sanitarium for the past year suffering from a nervous breakdown. The late Mr. Campeau was proprietor of the Wyandotte hotel on Wyandotte street east, and one of the best known men in the city. He was particularly active in the development of the east side, having served as the first president of the East End Citizens’ association. He was honorary president of this organization up to the time of his death.

The deceased was born in Tecumseh, the son of the late John Campeau, and was 53 years old. He located in Windsor about 35 years ago and went into business for himself. Afterwards he formed a partnership with the well-known grocery firm of Fielding and Campeau. After five or six years he withdrew and established a new hotel on Wyandotte street at the corner of Parent. At that time Wyandotte street east was not paved, the road was almost impassable at times and the district was sparsely settled. Although his friends were dubious he made a success of the venture, and as improvements were made the section filled up rapidly with new residents, with the result that property values advanced in a marked degree. Mr. Campeau erected a new brick hotel, one of the best in the city, and on the opposite corner put up a fine business block, where the Provincial bank is now located.

Mr. Campeau was in the hotel business about sixteen years. His health began to fail and he decided to retire, turning over the business to his nephew, Barney Campeau. He erected a handsome home adjoining the hotel The dwelling was not completed until after Mr. Campeau went to Guelph, and the owner was not permitted to enjoy the attractive residence, although the family moved in. The deceased was an active Liberal in politics, a member of the C. M. B.A ., C. O. F., and the Elks. He was past chief ranger of the Catholic order of Foresters. Surviving relatives are the widow, Mrs. Campeau, two sons, George, manager of the Provincial bank, and Edward, at home, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Jeannette, at home. There are three brothers, Jerry, David and Henry, of Tecumseh, ,and four sisters, Mrs. J. Mero, Mrs. Adam Jacques and Mrs. Thomas Parent, Tecumseh, and Mrs. Mose Beausoleil, Windsor. The funeral will be held Wednesday morning at 10 o’clock with services in Immaculate Conception church.

Related posts
Buildings of WindsorDemolitionLost WindsorNotable WindsoritesOld Newspaper Stories

Clarke Monuments - 1044 Howard Avenue

Old Newspaper StoriesWindsor

Sign Cleaning - 1923


Holy Rosary Separate School - Drouillard Road

Old Newspaper StoriesPostcards

Durdan's Confectionary - c. 1915

Recent Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *