Lost WindsorRenderingsWindsor

Mercer & Wyandotte – Loikrec Building

Building to be erected at the corner of Mercer and Wyandotte streets to consist of two stores with flats above.

The dimensions of the building are to be 46 feet on Mercer and 53 feet on Wyandotte streets. There will be hardwood floors throughout.

Leybourne & Whitney are the architects and engineers.

The building was located on the north east corner of Mercer & Wyandotte which is today under the parking lot for Windsor water world. It was built by Joseph Loikrec, who lived above and operated his business The Wyandotte Store, on the main level.

The building survived into the 1960s, as seen in the photo below, and was likely demolished in the mid to late 1960’s when Mercer was closed north of Wyandotte and the social housing blocks were erected on the property to the north.

Photo from SWODA

The building is still there, minus the corner tower, and decorative cornice.

Related posts
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

The Intersection of Huron Church, Felix & Prince - 1953

Lost WindsorOld Photographs

940 Assumption

Old PhotographsWindsor

53 Pitt Street East

Lost WindsorOld Photographs

College & Campbell - 1951

Recent Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *