This century old Riverside mansion is the next one due for a date with the wrecking ball. In the 1990 the property was purchased by the current owner for redevelopment. Until such a plan was finalized, the owner leased the property out for use as a Bed & Breakfast. The owner has finally decided that the time for redevelopment is now, and a demolition permit has been applied for. Under the Ontario Heritage act, there is a 60 day waiting period for demolition of heritage listed buildings. The 60 days on this one is up at the end of September.
The house was built c. 1890 by the original owner Robert Barr who according to the city directories was at one time the Editor of the Detroit Free Press. Although a bit of research was done, and the Free Press has no records of Mr. Barr. The house remained in the Barr family until 1942.
This house, and the Joyce House at the end of the of the block are the only remnants of what was once known as Millionaire’s Row. The house was originally scheduled for demolition in 1997.
Also of interest is the iron fence along the front of the property. It dates to about 1879, and was originally from the downtown Windsor Post Office that was demolished in the early 1930’s for the current Paul Martin Building.
Always good times in a city where a shitty ass highrise holds more interest than a 117 year old mansion.