Lost WindsorOld Ads

Fast Automobile Ferry Service – 1928

A neat old ad from the Detroit and Windsor Ferry Company, touting that they had the “fastest ferry service in America”. By the time this ad was published in the 1928 Ontario Tourist Guidebook, the writing was already on the wall for the Ferry service. The next year the Ambassador Bridge would open, and the year after that the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Those two factors, combined with the onset of the Great Depression helped expedite the demise of the passenger ferry. In 1938, only a decade after this ad appeared the last ferry crossing between Windsor and Detroit took place. A second Passenger ferry that operated between Walkerville and Detroit, hung on a little longer, before ceasing operations as well, in 1942.

Related posts
Lost WindsorOld Photographs

435 Mill Street - 1957

Lost WindsorOld Photographs

Park & Pelissier - 1961

ChurchesLost WindsorOld Newspaper Stories

Christ The King Church and The Baseball All-Star

Buildings of WindsorDemolitionLost Windsor

Essex House Hotel - 317 Riverside Drive West

Recent Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.