Unbuilt

Windsor Hotel - 1914

AddressNE Corner of Wyandotte & OuelletteYear1914ArchitectJames William WilsonStatusUnbuilt The news announcing this project, along with the rendering above, appeared in the Evening Record on February 5, 1914. The description was as follows: The promoters of the Windsor Hotel company have announced particulars of the new Windsor Hotel, which show that Windsor is at last to have one of…
Read more
Buildings of Windsor

Pooles Fish Market

Address101 Wyandotte Street WestYear1940ArchitectJ.C. PenningtonStatusRegister Listed Opened in June, 1940 this is one of Windsor’s few streamlined moderne buildings. Designed by J.C. Pennington, the building was commissioned by Max Goldhar, to house his fish…
Lost Windsor

1706-1748 Wyandotte St E

The photo above shows the lost building at the corner of Windermere and Wyandotte in Walkerville. The tan building on the right had 6 addresses, 1706, 1718, 1726, 1730, 1736 & 1748 Wyandotte St E, with apartments above. I think it was 4 retail units, with two…
MapsOld Ads

Clinton Park Subdivision 1913

The early years of development of the city in the boom years before WWI saw parcels of the city being purchased and subdivided to meet the growing need for new residential areas in the Border Cities. One of these subdivisions was the Clinton Subdivision. Encompassing the west side of Dougall Avenue between the alley north of Clinton Ave, to the alley south of Wahketa Ave it extended west to the…
Read more
Old Photographs

Wyandotte & Langlois c. 1957

A shot from the late 1950’s looking east from Wyandotte & Langlois. Evan’s Store is on the corner. The 1955 directory lists it as Evan’s Drugstore No. 3, while the 1958 phone book simply lists Evan’s Store at 1000 Wyandotte St E. The next few store fronts are…
Old Photographs

Dominion Cafe – 1020 Drouillard – c. 1957

This is a night shot taken on Drouillard, just south of the current home of the Grand Cantina. The building with the lit up neon sign is the Dominion Cafe which was at 1020 Drouillard. This building, no longer exists. To the left at 1018 Drouillard is Duebensky Hardware.
Old Photographs

Whelpton & Drouillard – Looking West

A neat shot from the late 1950’s probably around shift change. This one is looking west towards Drouillard road. The long gone Temple Theatre visible in the background. To the left of the bus is today’s home of the Grand Cantina. Beyond the Temple Theatre, it may be…
Old Photographs

1784 Drouillard Rd

A view of Fred’s grocery store located at 1784 Drouillard Rd, just north of Milloy. Like many storefronts across the city, this one appears to have been filled in, and converted to residential, but it’s still standing This photo appears to date from the early…